The penultimate stage:
- Keyboard instruments are introduced.
- Finger exercises and techniques are learnt.
- Students must read music from both the treble and bass clef simultaneously.
- Recognise and play notes using both hands.
- Be able to play a short melody on a keyboard instrument with accompaniment from rhythmic or melodic instruments.
- Key signatures are introduced.
- Recognition of ten different notes on the recorder by increasing dexterity.
- Sight reading a piece of music – recorder & piano.
- Breathing techniques are advanced on recorder.
- Developing an understanding of musical elements and appropriate vocabulary.
- The importance of listening to other students is stressed & practised.
- Aural training – singing with accompaniment and listening to given notes and rhythms and imitating them.
- Basic theoretical skills are learnt in preparation for Group Five (5)
Practising at home is vital, to reinforce what has been learnt in the lesson.